Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #1 Horror/Thriller Books


In the spirit of Halloween and my October theme I bring you a list of the Top Ten Horror/Thriller books I've read so far.



1) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - This book was such a roller coaster ride. Definitely one of the best books I've read this fall. The suspense and tension leaves you on the edge of your seat wanting to see what happens. It was executed really nicely. This book is intended for an older audience 18+.


2) The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold- a beautiful yet tragic book about a girl who is murdered. She tells us her story from heaven while watching how her family grieves and how nobody is any closer to catching the monster that killed her. This book had its share of creepy and messed up scenes. But its one of my favorite crime/thriller books so far.




3) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - one of my top favorite series so far. The creepy factor is amazing. The narrator is an unreliable source, so you are wandering all the time if what is happening is true or in her head. I definitely recommend this one as it is very enjoyable.




4) The Diviners by Libba Bray - This book takes place in the 1920's in New York City. The setting plus the wonderful characters make this novel unforgettable. A murderer is lose in New York City and Evie and her uncle must follow the clues to try and catch him. But what happens when the killer is a ghost and the crimes are part of some weird ritual? I really enjoyed this book. The creepy scenes were amazing. I was thinking about them long after I finished the book. 






5) Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake - I love this series!. Cas is a ghost hunter sent to investigate a series of ghost killings and eliminate the treat. But what happens when he falls in love with said ghost. This book was really good. I read it at night and its safe to say I was more than a little creeped out. 





6) Ten by Gretchen McNeil - Ten teens. Three days. One Island. Throw in a killer and you have a very interesting and suspenseful book. I know I enjoyed it. I felt like I was in a slasher film. 





7) Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy - If you are a fan of the Netflix original series, you cant go wrong reading the book. Its just like the TV show. Great adaptation! Hemlock Grove is a Gothic style novel about Peter and Roman, a grizzly murder and the events that follow. 






8) Asylum by Madeleine Roux - This book is amazing. I love novels that include photos. It makes it more dynamic not to mention it is very creepy. The scenes plus the picture were awesome.  The story takes place in an old Asylum that is now a student dorm. Dan enrolls there for the summer and soon weird stuff starts happening. 





9) The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepard - This book is one of my least favorite in this list. I felt like it had so much potential but fell short of it. But it did have an amazing idea. I just wish it would have been executed properly. The story takes place in an island. the main protagonist ends up there looking for her father who has been gone for years. She soon finds out that her father isn't quite alright and that there is something terrible lose in the island. This book is like a retelling of the Island of Dr. Moreou 





10) Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - a psychological thriller, this novel gets into your head. Again, the pictures make this book much more interesting. The plot was good but I found the pace to be boring and slow at times. 



Let me know what you think of my list. And have you read any of these books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment