Friday, November 14, 2014

The Book Thief Book Review

Tittle: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Publishing Details: Published march 14th by Knopf Books for young Readers
Genre: historical fiction/ ya
Format: Paperback Copy
Pages: 550

Goodreads description:

     It's just a small story really, about, among other things, a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist: books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids - as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

My Review: 

The book is the story of Liesel, a German girl left to foster parents a few years before the outbreak of world
war II. On the way to her new home her younger brother dies, after the funeral, Liesel steals The Gravediggers Handbook, even though she cant read. This is the first of many thefts that will occur throughout the story and it is this act that propels her to try and learn how to read. Soon her obsession with books grows as the war begins, food is scarce, some books are being burned while others are being stolen. And her foster father, Hans, hides a Jew in the basement.

This book was so incredibly beautiful. I have always loved history and one of my favorite books is the Diary of Anne Frank. This book reminded me of that one but gave me another perspective to the war. And what a wonderful story it was. The language was so captivating. I think my favorite element in this book was Death as the narrator. The way he told Liesel's story was unique. I found myself drawn to this character. It made me think of death in a different way. His voice was so powerful yet sad. In fact, one of my favorite quotes from the book is this one:

“I am haunted by humans.”

I found it so curious and ironic that Death would be haunted by humans when we are the ones who are afraid of death and who always feel haunted by it. As the novel progressed I really found myself appreciating Death's view on humans. The author really did a wonderful job in transforming death into something else. A thoughtful almost human like person. I love how he mentions that he looks human not like the figure dressed in black holding a scythe that we always imagine. 

The reason why this novel was so painful was the love I felt for the characters, I got so used to them, That over time they became part of me and when it was time to part with them, it was hard. While Liesel was the protagonist of this novel and it was her story being told, It wasn't her that I was worried about or who I loved the most. I have three top characters that I loved and cared deeply for by the end of the novel and those were sweet and caring Hans, wild and troublesome Rudy and of course Max, the Jew who imagined fighting Hitler and winning. I grew so fond of those characters. Its safe to say I was a mess by the end of the book. But it was worth it. The knowledge and lessons I've learned from this book will stay with me for a long time. And for that I'm grateful, because in the end this book accomplished what all books should. It inspired me and it showed me that despite all the evil in the world there are still some people who put their lives on the line to do what is right. 

Truly a powerful book and one that I highly recommend. 

Quotes:

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”

“He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.”

“Even death has a heart.”


My rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment