Friday, November 7, 2014

The Summoning Book Review

Tittle: The Summoning
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publishing Details: Published June 1st by Harper Collins
Genre: Paranormal romance, Urban Fantasy
Format: E-Book
Pages: 400
Series: Darkest Powers #1

Description:
       My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again. All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.
Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? it's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House...before its skeletons come back to haunt me.

My Review:

      Since the death of her mother, Chloe Saunders has spent years moving from place to place. Now things are finally settling down. But then she has a mental breakdown in school and is sent to a group home. There she is diagnosed with schizophrenia, as she thinks ghost talk to her. She decides to get better and try to live a normal life anyways. However she starts to doubt that as she discovers that Lyle house isn't your typical group home. And as she gets to know the other kids there, she starts to wonder about herself and starts to doubt her diagnose.

This book was recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad I gave it a read. I really enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining it was. The suspense had me eating this book. I finished it within a day. I loved the spooky feel with its gruesome dead bodies and ghosts. In fact, this book captures your attention right from the start, with a creepy basement, a strange occurrence and a mean babysitter, all told in the voice of a young child. The scene sets the book up wonderfully. I really didn’t know where the story was going and I let it take me there and was happy with the plot. Though some things were very predictable, I still enjoyed reading the parts that led to them. The writing style was good and it flowed out well. The characters were a little annoying sometimes, but I still liked them. Personally, I thought this was a fun read. I will definitely be checking the rest of the series out and more of Kelley Armstrong’s books.

My Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment